The Mountain Laurel
The Journal of Mountain Life

Visit us on FaceBookGenerations of Memories
from the
Heart of the Blue Ridge

The Mail Box - June, 1991

Issue: June, 1991

Dear Ms. Thigpen,
I have been trying to find a copy of the out of print book, "Heritage of Surry County, N.C." I have Rockingham and Stokes Counties "Heritage" books, but I need Surry's because most of my wife's people are from Mt. Airy. Is "Bookworm & Silverfish" book dealer still in business in your town? I have purchased many books from them.

H. V. Longley, Jr.
Route 4, Box 60
Elkton, Virginia 22827

Dear Mr. Longley,
Bookworm & Silverfish is still in business. You can contact them, in Rural Retreat, Virginia by calling 703-686-5813. They deal with rare and out of print books. The address to write is: P.O. Box 639, Wytheville, VA 24382. They will supply a catalog upon request.

We hope this will be of help to all of our readers looking for books of this nature.

Susan Thigpen, Editor

Dear Susan,
Enclosed is a check for renewal of The Mt. Laurel. I can't put in words how much I enjoy the paper. I have kept every issue I have received over the years. I think they will become collector's items in a few years. I enjoy the stories, pictures and the poems, especially the ones by my dear friend Skinny Rowland. I hope you can keep up the great work for many years.

W. Craver
High Point, North Carolina

Dear Readers,
We are always hearing from people interested in genealogy and we are happy to provide a space for people looking for their Blue Ridge Mountain ancestors. Sometimes we get letters from people who have successfully found relatives they had lost track of years ago (or in some instances, never even knew existed) through our Genealogy Column. If you have placed an inquiry in The Mountain Laurel hunting information on your ancestors and have had success, we would like for you to write us. We will publish the combined stories of your results in an article in an upcoming issue.

Susan Thigpen, Editor

Dear Mrs. Thigpen,
Our daughter and her husband were home for ten days and they read The Mountain Laurel and said they sure would love to have it, so I am sending it to them. It's a wonderful paper and I wouldn't miss it. I often tell the young folk that they can't imagine what life was like in the 20s, etc.

Keep up the good works and may God bless you.

Mrs. A.R. Jones
Stafford, Virginia

Dear Susan,
First please let me congratulate you and your wonderful paper.

I have only been a reader of your paper for the past year, but it has brought back years of memories - some sad and some full of joy.

I grew up in Wilkes Co., N.C. near Trap Hill. I left there in the early 40's and have been living in Winston-Salem and Midway, N.C, for almost 50 years but I will always cherish my young years in those beautiful mountains.

I would like to renew my subscription and also place a gift subscription for my daughter who lives in Orlando, Florida. When she spent Christmas with us this past Christmas, she found all my Mountain Laurel papers and read every one. I save every one. I know she will be happy to get her very own now.

I wish you years of success and good luck. All my prayers are with you.

Mrs. L. W. Thomas
Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Dear Susan,
I post you a check for The Mountain Laurel for twelve months. I am wishing you great success in the future for this fine home area paper. It is a good one, very informative and alive.

Also, Kathleen Baker of Martinsville [Genealogy column request] is seeking information on William Craddock. She may find what she needs at a good book store in that area. It is "The 58th Va. Infantry History." I have seen it in some of the stores, but have not read it myself.

I note in the April issue the Keno Store is mentioned in "A Homestead Party." Many years ago I visited there on a Saturday night with Marion (Red) Bowman. The store, if I remember, was run by someone in the Dalton family. It was an ole time Saturday night with plenty of good country music. The family names of Bowman, Dalton and Marshall at one time were plentiful in that area.

The snake story by Jess Wilbanks of Mineral Wells, Texas, was about playing and singing, "I'm The Man Who Rode The Mule Around The World." It brought back the days of yore to me. Many were the songs of that type back then. I wonder if Carl played and sang for Jess. The old one of True Blue Bill, that one too was a tall tale.

Keep up the good work.

E. C. Fitzgerald
Stuarts Draft, Virginia

Dear Mountain Laurel,
I already renewed my subscription, so I cannot take advantage of your free offer, but I would still like two copies of Mountain Memories. I also want you to know how important your paper is to me. I read it cover to cover and sometimes then again. I love the mountains and its people. Your stories are wonderful. I was so afraid your paper would not survive! But thank goodness it has. Keep up the good stories!

P. Munger
Wilton Manors, Florida

Dear Susan,
I am enclosing a check for the renewal of my subscription. My husband and I got acquainted with The Mountain Laurel at one of the motels in Wytheville and have thoroughly enjoyed it since. We grew up in Georgia, but Wilson, North Carolina has been our home for almost 35 years.

We "found" your area of Virginia years ago and love to go back as often as we can. We usually stay in Wytheville and have enjoyed several of your Backroad Tours in that vicinity.

Keep up the good work on the Laurel. All of us who know it love it.

Mrs. W.L. Ussery
Wilson, North Carolina

Dear Mountain Laurel,
Please find enclosed a check for a one year subscription. I so very much enjoy the paper. Hope everything goes well with you all this year.

I too, like so many other readers, when the paper arrives, sit down and read it through. It's like a good old visit to the past. Thanks so much.

L.H. Bales
Swords Creek, Virginia

Dear Friends,
I am renewing my subscription of the Mountain Laurel. As I did not want to cut my magazine, I am sending it this way [handwritten].

I really do like your paper. When I was still at home my mom and dad always lived in the country. I think that is why I like your paper so well. Thank you ever so much for having a paper like you do. Keep up the good work that you are doing.

B. Kiener
Monongah, West Virginia