The Mountain Laurel
The Journal of Mountain Life

Visit us on FaceBookGenerations of Memories
from the
Heart of the Blue Ridge

The Mail Box - March, 1986

Issue: March, 1986

Dear Mountain Laurel,
Please renew The Mountain Laurel to my husband and mother-in-law. It is a highlight at our house to get your paper in the mail, for it takes me back to 1950 and going to Floyd to see Grandma and Grandpa Moran. We would have to go up from Button Creek to Floyd, then down in the mountains to see them, and I mean down. I will never forget going to the spring and' getting into the cream, just putting one's finger in the cream and then in the mouth - so good. Food was simple corn bread and beans and big gingerbread cookies and pickled eggs sitting in the ice box.

The best thing about going to Grandma's house was Uncle Ray. He would take his fiddle down and play the night away. We' kids (there were eight) would love it.

Keep up the good work.

J. McDaniel
Salem, VA

Mt. Laurel,
My husband is 75 and he is not a reader. He will read the Bible and the sport section of the news paper. Well, last night he read the story of Charlie, The One-Eyed Ear Biter (January, 1986).

He had to stop often to dry his eyes. He laughed so hard he cried. I enjoyed the story also. We enjoy The Mountain Laurel papers. They were a Christmas gift.

Mrs. J.K. Snider
Arlington, VA

Dear Mt. Laurel,
I didn't want to spoil my friend's copy of Mountain Laurel by cutting out the coupon. Enclosed find check for 1 yrs. subscription.

Thank you,

Mrs. V. Stosich
Canon City, Colorado

Dear Sirs,
Could you please send me the dates of the Scalt Mountain Hillbilly Craft Show or where I could find out the dates. I also need the location of Scalt Mountain.

Thank you for your, assistance.

D. Spratberry
Anniston, Alabama

Dear Mr. Spratberry,
I'm sorry, we couldn't find any information on Scalt Mountain If any of you readers have this information and will send it to us, we will print it for everyone's benefit.

Susan Thigpen, Editor

Friends,
I hope you or some of your readers can help me find some books I've been searching for. I'm hoping to find the books written by Earl Hamner, Jr., creator of the T.V. show, "The Waltons". The titles are "Spencer's Mountain", "50 Roads To Town", "You Can't Get There From Here" and "The Homecoming." I believe the first one was published by Dial and the others by Random House. They have been out of print for some years now, but surely they must be available somewhere. I am also interested in any books about the T.V. show itself or about the Blue Ridge in general. Anyone who knows where I can purchase these books is welcome to write to me:

Gary Houston
Box 119
Mt. Vernon, KY 40456

Your help will be greatly appreciated. I should also mention that "The Waltons" was the reason I made my first visit to your area. I love the show so much and it made me want to see the Blue Ridge for myself. There can be no more beautiful place in the world and the natural beauty along with the friendly folks keep me coming back time and time again.

You have a wonderful charming little paper. Keep up the good work.

Thank you.

Gary Houston

Dear Sirs,
I enjoy The Mountain Laurel very much. I and a group of senior citizens attend a wild flower class through the, College at Spindale each spring and summer. We would like a Backroads trip to be planned for the Linville Gorge area of North Carolina. Also for the Spruce Pine or the Waynesville areas. Hope you can arrange them. Thanks

N.J. Rollins
Rutherfordton, N.C.

Editor's Note...
It's on its way. Look for a Backroad in the Spruce Pine area within the next few months.

Dear Readers,
The old cemeteries mentioned in the Indian Valley section of this month's Backroad Tour are listed in a book, "Cemeteries, Floyd (Montgomery) County, VA, Indian Valley District - Volume 1. It may be purchased by writing to Phyllis G. Phillips, Rt. 1, Box 100, Indian Valley, VA 24105. The cost is $13.50 plus $1.00 for postage and handling. If you are interested in names of people buried in that area, the book will be of great help.

Susan Thigpen, Editor

Dear Readers,
We received the following letter from Mr. Brady after he requested information on articles we printed in early issues of The Mountain Laurel concerning the Furnace Stack in Floyd County. It is believed to have been built by Captain Daniel Shelor, a Revolutionary soldier and may be one of, if not the earliest one built in Virginia.

Dear Ms. Thigpen,
First I apologize for the delay in responding to your prompt help last September.

Since you have a limited supply of these issues, I made photocopies of the articles for my records and am returning the originals to you.

I sympathize with you in your concern for the preservation of the furnace stack. I have visited over one hundred furnace sites in Virginia, and in not one single instance is there an organized effort to restore one of these stacks. Several are being "cared-for" by private owners or the Forest Service in that vines and underbrush are kept clear.

I would suggest that it is an excellent project for a local historical society to undertake - not necessarily to restore (that would take millions) but to preserve.

Again, I do thank you so very much for your help. I love your paper! Hope you have a prosperous 1986.

T.T. Brady
Virginia Society for the
Preservation of Charcoal Iron Furnaces
Richmond, VA

Dear Editor,
I am enjoying The Mountain Laurel so very much. My husband and I have visited Woolwine and Meadows of Dan, VA. We like the people and the beautiful scenery so much. I like the articles on the old days too. We are going to travel some of those Backroad Tours. Please send a Backroads Collection.

G. Denson
Apex, N.C.